A place to live, grow, and build a future
After two years of planning, permitting, and anticipation, Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County is well underway building the first 8 units of the planned 54-unit Telegraph Townhome Project on Telegraph Road.
In partnership with Kulshan Community Land Trust and Whatcom Community Land Trust, we will be building shelter for not just 1 or 2 local families, but 54! The first items on our checklist were to build a Volunteer Welcome Center that will serve as the base of operations for Telegraph Townhomes throughout the construction period of approximately 7 years and to complete the extensive Wetlands Mitigation project. We’re on our way!
Our vision for Telegraph Townhomes includes:
- 54 homes that hard-working families can afford to buy
- Built to Habitat Passive energy expectations, but customized for long-term maintenance affordability
- New bus stop directly in front of the property, allowing easy and eco-friendly access to Bellingham’s major commercial centers, social services, healthcare, education, and more
- Community garden to promote healthy foods and neighborhood
- Future connection to Bellingham Park’s trail system to promote physical activity and healthy families
How home buyers qualify
Telegraph Townhome buyers must qualify for either Habitat Whatcom or Kulshan CLT’s new home program. For details on KCLT’s program, click here.
Home-buyer qualifications for Habitat’s program include the following:
- Applicants must meet income and need guidelines
- Applicants are vetted by an all volunteer committee and selected anonymously by the Board of Directors
- Habitat homeowners perform a minimum of 500 hours of sweat-equity as part of their down payment
- Habitat homeowners purchase their home directly from Habitat
- Every mortgage payment both builds equity for every homeowner, as well as funding the construction of new Habitat homes
How you can help
One of the easiest and best ways to help make projects like Telegraph Townhomes become reality is by donating your new and gently used furniture, housewares, and building supplies to the Habitat Store. Our store, located at 1825 Cornwall Avenue in Bellingham, isn’t just a store … it’s a store that builds houses. Proceeds from the store support the mission of Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County, which includes projects like Telegraph Townhomes. When you donate to, or shop, at the Habitat Store, you’re helping to build homes for local residents.
Become a volunteer
Our volunteers and partner homebuyers do most of the work of building a Habitat home. We encourage volunteers of all ages, backgrounds and skill levels. We welcome individual volunteers as well as families and businesses, churches, and civic groups. Volunteering on a Habitat home can be a great team building or fellowship activity.
Make a donation
Your donation, of any dollar amount, builds homes that create mortgage streams that helps to build more! Whether a one-time donation or a monthly donation every dollar helps to create permanent, affordable housing solutions for those who need it most in our local community. Thank you for your support!
To learn about other ways to help, including pledging professional services or donations of in-kind materials, contact us at 360.715.9170.