A place to live, grow, and build a future
After years of planning, permitting, and anticipation, Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County has completed the first eight units of the 54-unit Telegraph Townhome Project on Telegraph Road and our first eight partner families will be moving in this winter. We’re eager to move on to the next four units without missing a beat!
In a unique partnership with the Kulshan Community Land Trust (KulshanCLT), Habitat is now building decent, safe, affordable homes for not just 1 or 2 local families, but many. This project is proving to be a vital testing ground for how to scale up for even greater community impact. Telegraph is rising!
Our vision for the societal impacts of the Telegraph Townhomes Project includes:
- 54 homes that hard-working families can afford to buy
- Built to Habitat Passive energy goals, customized for long-term maintenance affordability
- New bus stop in front of the property, allowing easy access to Bellingham’s commercial centers, social services, healthcare, education, and more
- Community garden to promote healthy neighborhood connections
- Access to Bellingham Park’s trail system to promote physical activity and healthy lifestyles
The ambitious scale of the Telegraph Townhomes Project means Habitat and KulchanCLT can create housing sector impact. Potential home buyers must first qualify either for Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County’s, or KulshanCLT’s, new-home programs. For information about how to qualify for a Habitat home, click here. For information about how the KulshanCLT program works, see their website. Home-buyer qualifications for Habitat’s program include the following:
- All potential applicants must meet income and need guidelines
- Applicants are vetted by an all-volunteer selection committee and are selected anonymously by our Habitat Board of Directors
- Habitat homeowners must perform a minimum of 500 hours of sweat-equity as part of their down payment
- Habitat homeowners purchase their home directly from Habitat
- Every mortgage payment builds equity for every homeowner, as well as provides funding for the construction of new Habitat homes
You can help our Store
One of the easiest ways you can help Habitat is by donating your new and gently used furniture, housewares, and building supplies to our Habitat Store.
Proceeds from all sales in our Store support our Habitat Mission and all of our building programs. Donate to our Store and help us end the housing crisis in our community.
Become a Habitat volunteer
Our volunteers and partner families do most of the work of building every Habitat home. We encourage volunteers of all ages, backgrounds, and skill levels. We welcome individual volunteers as well as families and businesses, churches, and civic groups. Volunteering on a Habitat home can be a great team building or fellowship activity.
Make a cash donation
Habitat is deeply grateful for every cash donation we receive, of any dollar amount, because these donations help us build homes. It’s that simple. Whether you make a one-time donation or a small monthly donation, every dollar creates safe, decent, permanent, and affordable housing solutions in Whatcom County.
To learn about other ways to help, including pledging professional services or donations of in-kind materials, contact us at 360.715.9170.