Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County envisions a world where everyone has a safe, decent, and affordable place to live. If you love helping others, apply today!
Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Advancement and Communications
Type: Part-time, 20 – 25 hours per week
Salary Range: $18 – $25 per hour, DOE
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for managing and fulfilling our print and digital communications to both internal and external stakeholders, as well as the general public. These responsibilities include our Habitat affiliate, as well as the Habitat Store.
Responsibilities and duties:
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for the following duties, by either completing or managing their completion by interns, volunteers, or other staff.
- Attend affiliate and community events as needed, interview stakeholders, and take photographs.
- Work strategically with the Director of Communications, as well as the Habitat staff, to create marketing and communications materials required by each department
- Recruit, train and supervise interns to assist with campaigns, social media, blogging, store displays, literature updates and website maintenance
- Maintain Habitat Whatcom’s web presence through our website, blog, weekly newsletters and social media
- Create or manage all print materials for the affiliate and the Habitat Store, including event and store signage, event programs, informational brochures, coupons, etc.
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of the affiliate’s Annual Report and Monthly Newsletter
- Ensure all print and digital materials are brand compliant, following Habitat for Humanity International standards
Skills and personal characteristics:
- Great attention to detail, and an eye for elegant, clear and effective design
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Ability to work with diverse groups and individuals
- Organized and efficient, with follow-through and ability to manage multiple competing projects
- Very strong training and delegation skills
- Creative and thrive in a collaborative work environment
- Able to deal well with stressful situations
- Reliable, honest and able to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Belief in and ability to commit to the mission of Habitat for Humanity
- Understanding of (or desire to learn about) affordable housing issues and solutions, homeownership, construction and second-hand retail
- Second language is desirable but not required
- Desire and ability to learn a wide range of relevant software
Preferred technical proficiencies:
- Adobe Cloud Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, Premiere Pro
- Canva or Adobe Express
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Social Media: Facebook, Facebook Business, Linkedin, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Hootsuite (or experience with similar Social Media management software)
- E-newsletter software, such as MailChimp or Constant Contact
- CRM experience
- Photography and videography experience
- Experience with marketing, social media and journalistic writing
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in Communications or related field
- Fluency reading, writing and speaking in English
- Reliable transportation and ability to travel within the county is required
Schedule and hours:
- Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm
- Position requires evening and weekend hours for committee meetings and events
To apply, please send an email, cover letter, and any samples showcasing your work in design and photography to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity or any other status protected by law. All are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Title: Donation Ambassador
Reports to: Habitat Store Management Team
Type: Both full and part time positions available
Compensation: $16 – $17 per hour
Join us as we transform the lives of Whatcom County families!
About the Habitat Store
We are a nonprofit that accepts new and gently used items, such as furniture, appliances, construction supplies, hardware and much much more. All proceeds go toward building safe, affordable housing right here in Whatcom County.
The Habitat Family
As part of the Habitat family, you’ll be working with a diverse crew of volunteers, donors, customers, our Homebuyer Families, as well as our construction crew.
We’re a team-oriented workplace that understands the importance of individuality and service supporting a greater mission. At the Habitat Store, we value the contribution of each and every employee as an integral part of realizing our vision of a world where everyone has a place to call home.
We acknowledge and celebrate each person’s unique skills and abilities, and know that an open communication between management and staff is critical to the success of our daily operation. We also realize people’s lives have a variety of commitments outside of work, so we offer employees flexible shift options with variable hours and days.
A Typical Work Day Could Consist of…
- Driving through Whatcom on our 16ft box truck, meeting with donors and picking up various donations
- Working at our donation dock, helping donors unload items from their cars while following our donation guidelines
- Working in our receiving room pricing donations, and getting them ready for the sales floor
- Keeping the receiving area clean and safe, and properly and safely recycling unsellable items
- Working with the Habitat Store team, and helping innovate ways to improve sales and efficiency.
A valid and clean Washington State Driver’s License and a clean driving record. The incumbent must have strong customer service and interpersonal skills, and have the ability to deal with stressful situations and with a wide variety of people. The employee must be dedicated to Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County’s Mission, and be willing to work closely with all staff.
- You will be required to operate a box truck. A CDL is not required, and training is provided upon hire, but commercial driving experience would be a definite plus.
- Experience with customer service or working in a retail store environment.
- Working with volunteers or in a nonprofit organization.
The incumbent will be required to lift up to 50lbs, unassisted, on a regular basis, with frequent bending, squatting, lifting and repetitive motion. The position will occasionally be exposed to the outside environment (e.g., heat, cold, wind, rain, snow, etc.) Work is performed in a public environment and requires the ability to engage customers and donors and represent Habitat for Humanity in a positive, professional way.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
1825 Cornwall Ave., Bellingham, WA 98225 – (360) 715-9170