Homebuyer resources and classes
Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County is known for building safe, decent, affordable housing, but we offer much more than our construction program. We also work toward empowering individuals and families to become knowledgable, engaged, successful homeowners by periodically offering public classes, workshops, and other resources. Part of our mission is to help make the entire process of homeownership understandable and accessible. Watch this page for new resources and upcoming classes.
Typically, our workshops and classes might cover the following:
- Understanding your home loan
- How to be a responsible borrower
- How to set yourself up for success with credit and loans
- How conventional home loans work versus Habitat for Humanity loans
- What escrow accounts are and why we use them
- Understanding homeowner insurance quotes, policies, and how they work
- How to choose the right homeowner insurance policy
- What is typically NOT covered by your homeowner insurance
Habitat for Humanity Public Home Buyer Education Class
Habitat for Humanity Homeowner Education Classes are FREE & OPEN to the public! If you are a new homeowner or just want the ins and outs of credit, getting into a mortgage or understanding your home insurance policy these classes are for you!
Register today to join Kevin Karber of Washington Federal & Raeann Scott of Farmers Insurance to learn helpful tips so you can succeed with home ownership!
Questions? Please call us at 360-715-917
Kulshan home-buyer classes
The Kulshan Community Land Trust (KulshanCLT) offers monthly public home-buyer classes to help you prepare for the road to home ownership. Once you’ve completed KulshanCLT’s classes, you will earn a certificate from the Washington State Housing Finance Commission (WSHFC). The certificate allows you to take advantage of special loan products, and is a requirement for any of the WSHFC’s affordable loan products. The classes are free but you must pre-register (below) because they fill up fast.
From the KulshanCLT classes you will learn the following:
- How to determine how much you can afford to borrow
- How to shop for a lender
- How to identify credit issues
- How to select the right loan
- How to identify a predatory lender
- How to shop for a real-estate professional
- How to negotiate a home purchase price
- How to evaluate the home you want to buy