Home-buyer resources and classes
Habitat for Humanity is best known for building houses, but we do much more than construction. We empower families to become successful Homeowners by offering classes and workshops that will help them develop a full set of tools for their futures. Future Homeowners gain much more than affordable home of their own – they are empowered for success!
Typically, classes cover the following:
- Understanding your home loan
- How to be a responsible borrower
- How to set yourself up for success with credit and loans
- How conventional home loans work versus Habitat for Humanity loans
- What escrow accounts and why we use them
- Understanding homeowner insurance quotes, policies, and how they work
- How to choose the right homeowner insurance policy
- What is typically NOT covered by your homeowner insurance
Upcoming Habitat classes
Ecotech Solar workshop
September 26, 5 to 6:30 pm: Join Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County and Ecotech Solar to learn how solar can work for your home. You’ll also learn how you can help Habitat install solar panels at our flagship Telegraph Townhomes project.
Kulshan home-buyer classes
Kulshan Community Land Trust offers monthly home-buyer classes to help you prepare for the road to home ownership. Upon completion of the class you will earn a certificate from the Washington State Housing Finance Commission (WSHFC). The certificate allows you to take advantage of special loan products, and is a requirement for any of the WSHFC’s affordable loan products. The class is free but you must pre-register (below).
In the KulshanCLT class you will learn the following:
- How to determine how much you can afford
- How to shop for a lender
- How to shop for a real-estate professional
- How to evaluate the home you want to buy