We’re excited to announce an upcoming build project, the scale of which we’ve never attempted before. In partnership with Kulshan Community Land Trust we hope to break ground on Telegraph Townhomes sometime in 2017, building shelter for not just 1 or even 2 local families but 24. The first item on our checklist was to build a Volunteer Welcome Center that will serve as the base of operations for Telegraph Townhomes throughout the construction period of approximately 5 years. We’re grateful to say we’ve checked that off the list as of Saturday, May 7th thanks to 70 volunteers who came out for Women Build 2016 and helped turn the Volunteer Welcome Center into a reality. We’re on our way!
A Place to Live, Grow, and Build a Future
Our vision for Telegraph Townhomes includes:
- 24 homes that hard working families can afford to buy
- Built to Passive House expectations but customized for long-term maintenance affordability
- Community Garden to promote healthy foods and neighborhood
- Future connection to Bellingham Park’s Trail system to promote physical activity and healthy families
How Families Qualify
- Applicants must meet income and need guidelines
- Applicants are vetted by an all volunteer committee and selected anonymously by the Board of Directors
- Habitat homeowners perform a minimum of 500 hours of sweat equity as part of down payment
- Habitat homeowners purchase their home from Habitat
- Habitat finances the purchase at 0%
- Every mortgage payment builds equity for the homeowner and funds the construction of new Habitat homes
How You Can Help
One of the easiest and best ways to help make projects like Telegraph Townhomes become reality is by donating your new and gently used furniture, housewares, and building supplies to the Habitat Store. Our store, located at 1825 Cornwall Avenue in Bellingham, isn’t just a store … it’s a store that builds houses. Proceeds from the store support the mission of Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County, which includes projects like Telegraph Townhomes. When you donate to the Habitat Store, you’re helping to build homes for local residents.
To learn about other ways to help, including pledging professional services, contact us at 360.715.9170.