After 2 years of anticipation, we're thrilled to announce the ground-breaking of the 54-unit Telegraph Townhomes.
In partnership with Kulshan Community Land Trust and Whatcom Community Land Trust, we will be building shelter for not just 1 or 2 local families, but 54! The first items on our checklist were to build a Volunteer Welcome Center that will serve as the base of operations for Telegraph Townhomes throughout the construction period of approximately 7 years and to complete the extensive Wetlands Mitigation project. We're on our way!
A Place to Live, Grow, and Build a Future
Our vision for Telegraph Townhomes includes:
- 54 homes that hard working families can afford to buy
- Built to Habitat Passive expectations but customized for long-term maintenance affordability
- New bus stop directly in front of the property, allowing easy and eco-friendly access to Bellingham's major commercial centers, social services, healthcare, education and more
- Community Garden to promote healthy foods and neighborhood
- Future connection to Bellingham Park's Trail system to promote physical activity and healthy families
How homebuyers qualify
Telegraph Townhome buyers must qualify for either Habitat Whatcom or Kulshan CLT's new home program.
For details on KCLT's program, click here.
Homebuyer qualifications for Habitat's program include:
- Applicants must meet income and need guidelines
- Applicants are vetted by an all volunteer committee and selected anonymously by the Board of Directors
- Habitat homeowners perform a minimum of 500 hours of sweat equity as part of down payment
- Habitat homeowners purchase their home from Habitat
- Every mortgage payment builds equity for the homeowner and funds the construction of new Habitat homes
How You Can Help
One of the easiest and best ways to help make projects like Telegraph Townhomes become reality is by donating your new and gently used furniture, housewares, and building supplies to the Habitat Store. Our store, located at 1825 Cornwall Avenue in Bellingham, isn't just a store ... it's a store that builds houses. Proceeds from the store support the mission of Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County, which includes projects like Telegraph Townhomes. When you donate to, or shop, at the Habitat Store, you're helping to build homes for local residents.
Our volunteers and partner homebuyers do most of the work of building a Habitat home. We encourage volunteers of all ages, backgrounds and skill levels. We welcome individual volunteers as well as families and businesses, churches, and civic groups. Volunteering on a Habitat home can be a great team building or fellowship activity. Click here to schedule a volunteer orientation!
Your donation, of any dollar amount, builds homes that create mortgage streams that helps to build more! Whether a one-time donation or a monthly donation every dollar helps to create permanent, affordable housing solutions for those who need it most in our local community. Thank you for your support!
To learn about other ways to help, including pledging professional services or donations of in-kind materials, contact us at 360.715.9170.