A message from our Executive Director:
#GivingTuesday is less than a week away and if you choose to participate I hope that you will consider Habitat for Humanity.A safe, decent place to lay your head at night is a basic human need. Over 14,000 in Whatcom County will struggle this Thanksgiving to provide for their family, not only this coming Thursday, but every day, because their living conditions are substandard or – equally detrimental – unaffordable.
- The Ortiz’s mortgage payment is based on cost, financed at 0%, and set at no more than 28% of the family’s gross income. This means the family can afford other basics such as food, clothing and health care.
- The affordable payment means there is reduced need to utilize other support social services.
- The affordable payment means that children don’t move from school system to school system due to another rent increase.
- At 0%, every mortgage payment builds 100% equity. It’s like putting the entire amount into a savings account. The stability and ability to weather difficult times is priceless.
- Every mortgage payment helps the next family in need by providing unrestricted cash flow to support Habitat’s mission to eradicate substandard living conditions in Whatcom County. Habitat founder Millard Fuller called this Biblical Economics.
Your gift gives in so many ways and it is needed more than ever. Please click here and make a huge difference in the prospects for this and many other future families in need of housing.
Wishing all a warm, safe and memorable Thanksgiving full of many meaningful moments with family and friends.
John P.C. Moon
Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County